Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Eminent Somniloquy

Usual attempts at reviewing ambient music come across as really stupid to me. I usually stop reading them once the writer starts using words like cosmic, transcendental or meditative. Yeah, it's usually quit, has a slow shifting form and doesn't cause a lot of raucous.

I have heard a lot of so-called ambient music that I think is bad. This is quite often the case because it doesn't keep to the form of being quit and to a nice floating form. Ambient Frequencies, a compilation of different ambient artists, works for me. If I want to listen to something termed "ambient" I want something to listen to while I am studying or just thinking and want something to influence the mood of the room without taking over as the main attraction from what I actually need to be concentrating on. I think this does that. Do I really need to give some over-the-top Kantian metaphysical critic for this that connects me with a bunch of stock-raving mad dogmatic new-ageist yogis just to mellow out while i study?


No comments: